Claims to the CICA

Advice and Assistance from Cohen Cramer Solicitors

If you have been the victim of an assault whether physically or sexually, you can look to make a claim to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA).

Why not visit our dedicated CICA claims site to see how we can help you.

The CICA is a government based organisation that makes payment of compensation to the victims of violent crime.

Mike Massen of Cohen Cramer has particular expertise in dealing with matters relating to claims for rape and sexual assault.

To qualify for an award you will need to show the following:

  • you were a victim of a crime of violence
  • the incident happened in the past two years
  • the incident occurred in England, Scotland or Wales
  • you sustained an injury as a result of the assault
  • you attended at least twice at your doctor’s surgery in relation to your injury

The Authority can reduce or refuse an award if:

  • you failed to report the matter to the police with 48-72 hours of the incident
  • you failed to co-operate with the police
  • you were responsible for the incident arising
  • you have unspent criminal convictions

To see if you are in a position to make an application for an award get in touch with us today:

  • call: 0113 224 7830 (24 hours)
  • email:
  • pop your contact details into the box at the bottom of this page and we will get straight back to you

You may not need a solicitor to act for you in your application to the CICA and if, due to the straightforward nature of your claim, we think that you can deal with the application process yourself we will tell you and point you in the right direction. However if your claim is complex and involves a high level of injury with lost income etc., you may want to consider obtaining legal assistance.

Frequently Asked Questions

Does there have to be a conviction for me to make a claim?

No – there does not even have to be an arrest, as long as you can show that you have been the victim of a crime of violence that is sufficient.

Will I have to go to court?

No – the CICA is not like a civil claim and there is no opposition as such; you are making an application to a government body and not a claim against an individual.

Will my attacker find out about my claim?

No – your claim is made to the CICA and your attacker is not notified and has no input in the process.

How would my award be calculated?

The CICA has a tariff system. Your injuries are evaluated and placed in a particular bracket which determines the amount you receive. If you have multiple injuries you will receive payment as follows:

  • 1st most serious injury – 100% of tariff award
  • 2nd most serious injury – 30% of tariff award
  • 3rd most serious injury – 15% of tariff award

You can claim lost income only after you have been off work for 28 weeks, so if you are absent from work for 40 weeks you can only claim for 12 weeks.

Your claim can be dealt with on a ‘No Win – No Fee’ basis, this means that if for any reason we are not successful then you don’t pay us a penny for the work we have done. 

If you have any further questions please get in touch:

  • call: 0113 224 7830 (24 hours)
  • email:
  • pop your contact details into the box at the bottom of this page and we will get straight back to you

For The Quality Legal Service You Deserve.