Food Allergy Claims

Advice and Assistance from Cohen Cramer

Food Allergy Claim. If you suffered an allergic reaction while eating out at a restaurant or eating food such as a takeaway meal or sandwich, then you may be entitled to claim compensation for your injuries and losses.

The increase in the development of food allergies combined with an increase in the level of eating out has seen a huge increase in the incidence of adverse reaction claims.

The incident may have arisen as a result of cross-contamination during the preparation process or simply since you were given an insufficient warning or incorrect information as to the ingredients that had been used. Most allergy cases are as a result of a failure to advise as to the presence of potential allergens or a failure to listen to the customer when they advise of their condition and requirements

Cohen Cramer Solicitors have the knowledge and expertise to ensure that you receive the compensation that you deserve.

The main problems and symptoms that will arise from an allergic reaction to food are as follows:

  • skin rashes and blemishes
  • diarrhoea and vomiting
  • swelling of the throat leading to breathing and swallowing difficulties

In rare cases, it can result in death.

What Can You Claim for Your Adverse Reaction?

An adverse reaction can lead to a range of symptoms from a mild rash to a fatality. In addition, there can be a substantial psychological reaction. The injured party can find it difficult to eat food they have not prepared themselves. This can heavily restrict and impact on the convenience and enjoyment of their life.

We will, in support of your claim, obtain the medical evidence to support your injuries and recover the compensation that you deserve.

As well as compensation for your injuries, we will also recover any financial losses you have sustained as a result of the incident. These can include:

  • lost income as a result of the need for recovery and treatment
  • the cost of any counselling and treatment you require
  • any other financial losses that may have arisen as a result of the incident

Most claims are dealt with on a no win, no fee basis so that if your claim fails you won’t have to pay a penny for the work we have done on your behalf, provided you have co-operated throughout your claim.

Starting Your Food Allergy Claim

To see how we can help you claim your compensation get in touch with us today:

call: Mike Massen on 0113 224 7804 (07793812361 eve – w/ends)
enter your details into the contact form at the bottom of this page and we will get back to you

For the Quality Legal Service You Deserve

If you develop any of the symptoms as a result of a food allergy then you would be advised to seek medical attention.

Food labelling and packaging

The food standards agency state that food allergens that are used either ingredients or in the processing of the product must be declared on the packaging or at the point of sale.

There are 14 key allergens that must be identified by food businesses in the UK.

These are:

  • milk
  • crustaceans
  • eggs
  • fish
  • lupin
  • celery
  • soya
  • cereals containing gluten
  • peanuts
  • nuts
  • sesame seed
  • mustard
  • molluscs
  • sulphites

A food allergy occurs as a result of your body immune system mistaking the protein in the food as an attack upon the body.

What if I don’t tell the restaurant of my allergy.

The restaurants are required to advise you if they will be using any of the 14 allergens in your meal. if you don’t tell them they can still be liable they have not advised you.

The advice should be either on the menu and given by the waiter when taking your order; it is not down to you ask

If you are allergic to something other than the key allergens then there is an obligation upon you to notify the restaurant of your condition.

What will it cost me to bring my food allergy claim?

We can deal with your claim on a no win-no fee basis so that if for any reason your claim is not successful you do not have to pay for the work we have done on your behalf.

How long do I have to bring my claim?

You have three years from the date of your reaction to bring your claim however the sooner you can bring the claim the better as it may be necessary to preserve obtain and preserve evidence in support of your claim. If the person suffering reaction is under the age of 18 the three-year start to run on their 18th birthday

To find out how we can help you claim the compensation you deserve to get in touch with us today.