Claim for Food Poisoning

Advice and Assistance from Cohen Cramer

If you have suffered food poisoning as a result of badly prepared or out of date food then you can claim compensation and damages.

Your claim can be dealt with on a ‘No Win – No Fee’ basis, this means that if your claim fails you won’t have to pay us a penny for the work we have done on your behalf.

When can I claim for food poisoning?

When you purchase food, whether it be at your local fast food outlet, high-class restaurant or from a shop you expect it to be of sufficient quality and standard that allows you to eat it without further problem. This is not always the case and food poisoning can lead to nausea, dizziness and diarrhoea and worse.

nwnfboxIf you suspect that you have food poisoning, symptoms usually show with 72 hours of eating the contaminated food, then you should seek medical attention if :

  • vomiting that lasts for more than two days,
  • you cannot keep liquids down for more than a day
  • diarrhoea that lasts for more than three days,
  • blood in your vomit
  • blood in your stools
  • seizures (fits)
  • changes in mental state, such as confusion
  • double vision
  • slurred speech
  • signs that you may be dehydrated, such as a dry mouth, sunken eyes, and being unable to pass urine.

Your claim against the establishment will be greatly assisted if you have any of the food product that you suspect is contaminated. A stool sample is useful if you suspect that there may be a bacterial infection or parasites. It may be best to consult your doctor at this stage as they will be better equipped for the job and we can always get a report from the doctor.

In addition, your claim will be greatly aided if the owners of the establishment have recognised that there has been a problem and the appropriate authority such as Public Health England has been involved.

What can I claim for my food poisoning?

If you have suffered food poisoning you are entitled to claim compensation. We have the expert knowledge to make sure you get all that you are entitled to.

You can claim for:

  • the discomfort and upset caused by the poisoning this is known as general damages
  • lost income if you have to have time off work
  • medication and treatment costs
  • other financial losses resulting from the incident; these are known as special damages

How can I claim? 

To get your claim started or to have a chat to see what we can do to help, get in touch with us today:

  • call: 0113 224 7804 (24 hours)
  • email:
  • pop your details into the contact box at the bottom of this page and we will get back to you

For the Quality Legal Service You Deserve.